PLEDGE TO PREPARE
Here are some great Emergency Preparedness tips from ready.gov, via SGMH Emergency Preparedness Coordinator Jan Merrick.
GET A KIT of Emergency Supplies
Prepare or use what you have on hand to get by on your own for at least three days, maybe longer.
You may want to have two kits. One containing items you may need to stay where you are and make it on your own and the other would be a “Go-Kit” containing similar items to take with you, should you have to evacuate.
The following supplies should be in your basic kit:
- WATER one gallon per person per day
- FOOD at least three days’ supply of non-perishable food
- BATTERY-POWERED RADIO and EXTRA BATTERIES
- FLASHLIGHT AND EXTRA BATTERIES
- FIRST AID KIT
- FILTER MASKS
- MOIST TOWELETTES
- WRENCH OR PLIERS
- MANUAL CAN OPENER
- PLASTIC SHEETING AND DUCT TAPE
- GARBAGE BAGS AND PLASTIC TIES
- UNIQUE FAMILY NEEDS prescription meds, important documents